Friday, February 10, 2012

Welcome to the 2012 Ironman Coeur d'Alene!

Got an email this morning with this subject line: Welcome to the 2012 Ironman Coeur D'Alene. Ahh... Scray! It definitely triggered a nervous feeling. My heart rate went up.

It was a nice letter from the race director in which he mentions that this year is the 10th edition of this amazing race. He mentions volunteers and support crews that will be there to support us along the way. From the beginning and until we hear those coveted words: "Gaby, you are an Ironman" (yes, they say your name... It's AWESOME!).

The most important part of this message is highlighted in my brain as if it were written in BIG BOLD RED CAPITAL letters. There will be changes to the course and Ironman Village. Ironman Village changes, are not a big deal to me. I guess I'll find it anyway. Just follow all the skinny people, the men with shaved legs, the ladies with compression socks, the ones wearing Ironman branded clothes, the ones with the "M-Dot" tattoo on their ankle... Yep, I will find where to pick up my race packet and where to drop off my bike.

It's the bike course change that matters the most to me. Last year, after a small out and back (and fast) section along Coeur D'Alene lake, we headed up north towards the town of Hayden for some amazing views of Hayden Lake. While it was a gorgeous course, it did have lots of turns. I'm a little scared that it will change but according to race director: "... all of those sharp turns will be replaced by a smooth, fast ride heading south on highway 95." Does this mean I'll be faster? Well, who knows, but maybe training in Boulder has its benefits.

The following image shows the elevation profile... Maybe a couple rides up to Ward and Jamestown will get me ready for those big climbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment