Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 is right around the corner...

Whoa! Without realizing, it's the end of December and I sorta forgot about writing on my blog, talk about my 2013 accomplishments and discuss my 2014 goals.  Lucky for me, I still have a couple days to talk about them both.

2013 will go down in my history book as one of the best ones yet. Let me give you a quick recap: 

In January, I got pneumonia. I will never forget it. Regardless of my pneumonia in December/January, I managed to pick up my training after getting better and run my fastest marathon yet in NoLa in February. In April, I ran my fastest half marathon yet in under 2 hours (FINALLY!). Also in April, I ran my fastest 5k. At the finish line of this 5k, I got engaged. In May, I went to Hawaii for the first time and in July I went to Oregon to run my first 50-miler. In August I decided I no longer wanted the "office" lifestyle. I quit my job and started pursuing a career in sports events production. In August I worked for my first race which happened to be the Leadville 100 (talk about getting inspired). In September I attempted to crush my 50k time at the Bear Chase race, but due to a cold, couldn't quite beat it; I did finish. In October I got married to the man of my dreams. In November we traveled to Idaho, Georgia and New Mexico. In December we went under contract to buy a house, which we should get the keys to in only 20 days. I got my green card and turned 30. And finally, we traveled as a family to spend Christmas with the rest of my family in Mexico. 

Not only was this a great year full of athletic accomplishments, it was a year of personal accomplishments. I am not quite sure if 2014 can be greater, but I will certainly try to make it great. If all goes well, we will start the year moving into our new home. I will get a chance to go back to Moab and prove to myself I've really become a better athlete by running the Red Hot 55k again (which about killed me 4 years ago). Chuck will test his endurance abilities by running his first ultra (the Red Hot 55k, too) and will then race a 40 mile mountaineering race from Crested Butte to Aspen. And as you've probably heard before, I will be running TransRockies with my all-time running partner Theresa in August. I'd like to give The Leadville Trail Series a shot starting off by running the Leadville Heavy Half a month or so before TransRockies, but we shall see... 

After August, I may take a hiatus from running long distance as we may (or may not *wink, wink*) decide to grow our family. 

Dream big, I guess... 



PS-  A HUGE thanks to my husband who's always been supportive of my crazy goals. Also, thanks to my coach Eric who keeps me healthy and makes me faster. And of course, I couldn't do it with all my running buddies; those who run a mile or two with me, and those who spend multiple hours with me on the trails. You make my training so much easier and that much more fun! And finally, thanks to all the race directors and volunteers who put on amazing events, you are the reason I won't quit running. 

1 comment: