Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter Training

Winter may be a rough time to get out and take care of those miles. I, on the other hand, have a harder time getting out on a hot hot day. If you know me a little, you'd know I can't seem to perform real well in the heat. I tend to dehydrate fast and I just can't seem to get enough calories in. I personally love getting out when it's snowing. Actually, to make me sound even crazier, if there's snow on the forecast, I will WAIT to see those first few flakes to fall for me to get out for a "fun run".

My one advice to you is: pick your events wisely. If you know you struggle in the heat, like me, try and get an early-season event and get your training done, mostly in the winter and fall. I personally LOVE this structure. Then I get to play all summer and not worry about the training plan. What others call "winter maintenance", I call "summer maintenance". And I start all over again around Thanksgiving. Which happens to be great, too. I manage to keep the weight off over the holidays.

Today is nice and sunny, and everything is covered in snow (pretty!!!). I keep checking the weather and it just barely warmed up to 14 degrees (and it's past noon). I'm not scared of the cold. Actually, I think I want to head up to Sanitas (the snowier, the better). But seriously? 14 degrees? Darn! Usually my limit is low-20's. But mark my words, I'll get it done.

What are your ideal weather conditions to run in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment