Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Changing Plans

"You can always amend a big plan, but you can never expand a little one.  I don't believe in little plans.  I believe in plans big enough to meet a situation which we can't possibly foresee now." - Harry S. Truman

 A few weeks ago, I posted a little something about making decisions.  And how some of those decisions suck so much.  I have been so upset about not going to Alaska, I feel I've lost track of the other amazing things going on.  Have I mentioned I'm going to Hawaii in May?  For free?  See?  Life doesn't suck.

Alaska was a big deal for me.  It was the very first time my man and I were planning something that big.  I mean, a trip to Alaska!  Alaska is far, it takes time to get there and it seems very remote.  Not only that, but we were taking a bus to drop us off in a small town where we'd take a little plane that would drop us off in a remote glacier in Denali National Park.  It doesn't get more adventurous than that.  In the end, I just cannot make it happen... so he's going with some other friends.  In all honesty (and he knows), I was sort of hurt that he was going without me instead of waiting for me... but he's changed the actual destination of the trip, so he's saving our trip for when I can actually go.

That said, I'm moving past my hurt feelings and trying to focus on all the other big things I have going on.  Instead of going to Alaska (and main reason why I decided it wasn't a good time), I am going to Hawaii the first week of May with my love.  He "won" a free trip to Hawaii for two, so it just made more sense for me right now.  Neither one of us has been to Hawaii, and that is even farther than Alaska.  This will actually be a relaxing vacation, which I need (work has been insanely crazy).  We've gotten some recommendations on what to do out there so I'm sure I'll get to hike a ton, run and enjoy paradise.

Also, the Mt. Hood trip is coming up in just 4 months.  No, I'm not climbing Mt. Hood, but I'm attempting to run 50 miles.  It's going to be super epic.  I will be out there with my friend Courtney and her boyfriend Kevin.  Kevin and Chuck will be attempting to climb Mt. Hood that same day and aim to meet us at the finish. We will all be crippled drinking beer in beautiful Portland the day after.  They've never climbed Hood, I've never ran a 50.  So epic and special indeed.

Last but not least, Courtney, Kevin and I along with 3 other crazies will be attempting to run 200 miles from Logan, UT to Jackson Hole, WY.  This is the Grand Teton Epic Relay.  I'm not lying, the actual name of the race includes the word EPIC.  We are entering as an "ultra" team with 6 runners instead of the normal 12.  My man will be planning to do some crazy climb in Teton National Park before meeting us at the finish.

That said... I am so looking forward to the summer.  And I'm overly excited since it's starting to feel like spring, especially cause we have a big snow-storm coming our way.  :)

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment